Kieron Evans in action for City's U23 side...

U23 Match Report | Cardiff City 1-0 QPR

Cardiff City’s U23 side defeated Queens Park Rangers 1-0 in the Professional Development League at Cardiff International Sports Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

Rubin Colwill came off the bench to net late, securing three points in the team’s final fixture of 2020.

Filip Benković in action in Leckwith...

Steve Morison made eight changes from last time out. First Team players Dillon PhillipsFilip Benković, Joel Bagan, Gavin Whyte & Josh Murphy were given game time - alongside Keenan Patten, Chanka Zimba and Kieron Evans, who have all been on the bench for City's senior side in recent weeks. Oli Denham, Owen Pritchard and Ben Margetson, who captained the team, completed the starting XI.

City's opening opportunity came after eight minutes. Winger Murphy’s shot from an acute angle was saved, before striker Zimba fired over on the rebound.

Goalkeeper Phillips was then called into action several times, demonstrating fine form. Dylan Duncan and Manasse Mampala could not get their respective efforts past the strong stopper.

Former Norwich City man Murphy crafted the final chance of the half shortly before the break. The 25-year-old sped in midfield and put a through-ball into the path of forwards Zimba and Whyte, but QPR goalkeeper Murphy Mahoney got there first.

City's U23 squad face off against QPR in Leckwith...

After the interval, Cardiff City took full control and came close six minutes in. 19-year-old Evans’ dangerous free-kick reached towering Zimba, who headed just over.

25-year-old Phillips stepped up again after 55 minutes. Forward Mampala’s ambitious strike from range was brilliantly kept out by an acrobatic save.

Dillon Phillips in action in Leckwith...

The attacking Bluebirds had multiple chances inside the final ten minutes, looking to find a deserved winner. Owen Pritchard shot just over, midfielder Patten fired into the side netting and Isaak Davies hit the post.

Substitute Rubin Colwill finally rewarded City for their final second half display with three minutes remaining. The midfielder finished clinically after fellow substitute Davies hit the crossbar.

Cardiff City looked for a second in the closing minutes as the visitors hunted an equaliser, but no further goals came and the Bluebirds took all three points.


Cardiff City: Phillips, Margetson, Bagan, Benković, Denham, Pritchard, Whyte (Colwill 76’), Patten, Zimba (I. Davies 58’), Murphy (Idowu 76’), Evans. Subs not used: Jones, Cogman.

Queens Park Rangers: Mahoney, Jude-Boyd, Pitblado (McLean 89’), Remy, Mahorn, Carlyle, Mema, Duncan, Kendall (Kargbo 66’), Mampala, Aveiro (Armstrong 84’). Subs not used: Salamon.