Club News




Cardiff City bowed out of the FA Youth Cup despite a valiant second half display on Wednesday night falling to a 2-1 defeat at Nottingham Forest.


in the City goal forced into action from the opening minutes. Although Matthews made a string of fine saves there was nothing he could do to stop Forest’s debatable opening goal. Kieran Fenton’s header from a corner was judged to have crossed the goal-line, despite the City defence’s attempts to clear the ball.Liam MatthewsThe home side began the game the stronger side, with


Forest went further ahead on thirty nine minutes when forward Derrick Otim was played through on goal. His strike had enough power on it to take it past Matthews’ outstretched arm and into the back of the net to give the home side a deserved two goal lead at the break.


all trying to fire the City back into the game only to be denied by Forest keeper Jordan Smith.Declan John and Anthony Bell, Jaye BowenA revitalised City came out for the second half with


Gethyn Hillwasn’t to be denied though, as the forward ran through on goal and under pressure fired the ball right footed into the bottom corner with ten minutes remaining.


all tried their best to grab an equaliser it wasn’t meant to be, as the referee blew his whistle on the game and City’s FA Youth Cup participation for the season.Kane OwenAlthough John, Bell and


 Chronological Report


, son of former Cardiff City forward Jason Bowen.Jaye Bowen already having made their first team debuts in 2012. Captaining City was Declan John and Theo Wharton, Tommy O’SullivanCity began the game with a strong starting line up, three of their key players


in the Cardiff City goal from the off. On the night his cousin Adam scored his first goal for Celtic, Liam was looking to put in a good performance himself and didn’t disappoint. Morgan Ferrier was the first to try and beat Matthews from a tight angle, only for the keeper to pull off a good save at his near post. He was in action again just moment later, stopping Josh Thomas by palming the ball to safety.Liam MatthewsIt was the home side who started the stronger, troubling


The Forest onslaught continued with Jack Blake shooting over before Thomas crossed for Derrick Otim who just couldn’t reach the ball. A busy first half for the young Matthews continued when he was called into action to deny Gnahore with a dipping header that he held well. Central midfielder Gnahore struck a free kick on twenty five minutes that looked dangerous, only for Matthews to deny him for a second time.


But not even Matthews’ heroics could stop Forest from taking a debatable lead on twenty seven minutes. A tricky corner by the home side was headed well by centre half Kieran Fenton towards goal and despite City clearing the ball away from goal, referee Alix Pashley judged the ball to have crossed the line after consulting his assistant referee.




Fenton was further involved minutes later when Forest increased their lead through Derrick Otim. The defender broke from deep and played a through ball for teammate to run onto. Although Matthews managed to get a hand to Otim’s drive from inside the area, he couldn’t stop it from crossing the line for the home side’s second goal of the evening.




headed a Cardiff free kick just over the bar. This was an impressive and controlled first half display from the home side who thoroughly deserved their 2-0 lead.Theo WhartonThe closest City came to reducing the deficit was moments before the break when




City opened the second period in a more positive manor with skipper Jaye Bowen having their first attempt of the half. The midfielder struck a free kick from twenty five yards out that went just wide of Jordan Smith’s right post.


Although Cardiff started to take control Forest still looked troubled on the break and Jack Blake probably should have killed the game off just before the hour mark. The midfielder received the ball on the edge of the area and with a seemingly easy shot at target, managed to clear the City goal.


’s shot with ten minutes left on the clock though. The forward ran through one-on-one with the keeper and under pressure from the Forest back line showed great composure and assurance in holding them off and calmly slotting the ball home to give Cardiff a real chance of a comeback.Gethyn HillCity continued their attack with Bowen again testing Smith in the Forest goal, his low drive just after the hour well held by the keeper. Smith couldn’t do anything about




also attempted to find City a second goal but the centre back’s drive flew over from twenty five yards.Kane OwenIn a final few minutes dominated by the visitors, Declan John came close to an equaliser. The left back hit an impressive in-swinging free kick that nearly crept in without a touch, only for the Forest defence to clear.


at the back post; the midfielder chose to shoot at an acute angle rather than pass across the box and his attempt flew into the side netting. City’s hopes of an equaliser and extra time were finally squashed when the referee blew the final whistle soon after.Anthony BellThe final opportunity of the game came when Dec John’s cross found




Cardiff City: Joseph Massaro, Yora Enzam, Ashley Baker.Subs not used:Liam Matthews, Bradley Wickham, Declan John, Curtis Watkins, Ben Watkins (Abdi Noor, 71) Kane Owen, Jaye Bowen, Theo Wharton, Tommy O’Sullivan (Brad Williams, 58), Anthony Bell, Gethyn Hill.