Club News

Cardiff City bowed out of the Capital One Cup in the Second Round with a 2-1 defeat to MK Dons after extra time.


A new-look City side put in a strong early performance against the Dons, who had made nine changes themselves at stadiummk. Cardiff gained plenty of joy down the left wing through the spritely Sammy Ameobi and overlapping Fábio, leading to chances for Craig Noone and Eoin Doyle.

Both the Bluebirds and the Dons were playing the ball well on the floor, but the pace of City’s passing saw them cut through the home defence, with Bruno Ecuele Manga also going close for Russell Slade’s men.

Indeed, throughout the first half the direct running of Ameobi and Noone put Cardiff in the ascendency, with Stuart O’Keefe unlucky to see two efforts saved by Cody Cropper before the break.


The match looked set to continue in a similar vein after the interval as Ameobi headed narrowly wide from a searching Noone cross within a minute. At the other end, Simon Moore and Fábio combined to divert Josh Murphy’s menacing centre away from danger.

After seven second-half minutes, Murphy then almost capitalised on a rare City mistake as he robbed Matthew Connolly before whipping an in-swinging effort just past Moore’s left-hand post.

However, the Bluebirds were finally rewarded for their excellent attacking play as they took the lead on 53 minutes. The goal came in spectacular fashion as Noone’s lofted cross was smashed home on the volley by Alex Revell, who had been lurking at the far post.


Dons boss Karl Robinson opted for a triple substitution after Doyle’s glanced header threatened to increase Cardiff’s lead. Samir Carruthers, Rob Hall and Sam Gallagher were introduced to the action as the home side looked to claw themselves back into the game.

With eleven minutes of the match remaining, they did just that. The ever energetic Murphy broke down the left flank once again, and when Moore palmed Hall’s effort away, Carl Baker was on hand to power the rebound into the roof of the net.

The match soon entered extra time as the end-to-end contest continued, with more gaps opening up around the pitch.

Unfortunately for City, the Dons were the side to capitalise after the break in the extra period. An excellent passing move saw them cut into the Cardiff box and, after Carruthers and Hall combined, the ball deflected to Murphy who drifted in to convert off the post.

The brave Bluebirds pushed for an equaliser late on but, when Moore ventured forward for a last minute corner, he headed just wide to leave the score at 2-1 to the home side.


Scorers – Cardiff City: Revell ’54 | MK Dons: Baker ’79, Murphy ‘108

MK Dons: Cropper; Hodson, Upson, McFadzean, Spence; Poyet, Aguza (Carruthers 62); Baker, Benavente (Hall 62), Murphy; Powell (Gallagher 62).
Subs not used: Martin, Kay, Jennings, Church.

Cardiff City: Moore; Connolly, Morrison, Manga, Fábio; Noone, O’Keefe (Peltier 90), Ralls (Dikgacoi 71), Ameobi; Revell (Macheda 82), Doyle.
Subs not used: Wilson, Ajayi, Wharton, Kennedy.