Match Report : 24/09/2016

Match Reports


The Bluebirds secured their first away win of the campaign, coming back from a goal down to defeat Rotherham United, 2-1, at the AESSEAL New York Stadium.
An end-to-end first half saw the Bluebirds and Rotherham trade long range efforts, with both teams looking to retain the ball and build from the back. 
Bluebirds forward Rickie Lambert made a wonderful block in a defensive situation with fifteen minutes on the clock as Jon Taylor looked to pounce on Dael Fry’s deflected effort. 
Millers top goalscorer Danny Ward was lively throughout the opening half and had two efforts go close inside the space of 120 seconds after 21 and 23 minutes. Matthew Connolly making a crucial block to ensure the first shot didn’t nestle in the back of the net before City goalkeeper Ben Amos tipped Ward’s low second effort wide.
The Bluebirds assumed control for a large period after 25 minutes, with Lex Immers, Craig Noone, Joe Ralls and captain Sean Morrison all going close to breaking the deadlock before the break.
The hosts came out for the second half in determined fashion, looking to attack Paul Trollope’s men. Morrison and Immers on hand to block shots from Ward and Frecklington early in the second period.
It was the home side who found the net first on the hour mark with on-loan Chelsea man Izzy Brown netting at close range after the City defence failed to clear a long throw.
Despite this setback, the Bluebirds pushed on immediately with the returning Stuart O’Keefe and Connolly trying their luck. The pressure told for Cardiff on 73 minutes, as England international Lambert found the back of the net for the first time in City colours. Peter Whittingham’s deep free kick finding Lambert alongside Morrison in the penalty box with the final touch coming off Lambert to beat Lee Camp and level the match.
After their deserved equaliser, City continued in a positive manner, looking to take all three points to South Wales and took the lead with eleven minutes remaining. Lambert with a neat turn inside the area before taking a snapshot that deflected towards goal, evading the dive of Camp.
Alan Stubbs’ side attempted to rally after conceding twice inside six minutes, but shots at goal from Dexter Blackstock and goalscorer Brown were quelled as the Bluebirds secured all three points in South Yorkshire.
Rotherham United: Camp, Fisher, Wilson, Fry, Mattock, Taylor, Frecklington, Halford, Newell (Blackstock, 82), Brown, Ward. Subs Not Used: Price, Vaulks, Forde, Forster-Caskey, Ball, Yates.
Cardiff City: Amos, Peltier (Manga, 87), Morrison, Connolly, Richards, Whittingham, O’Keefe, Immers, Ralls (Harris, 70), Noone, Lambert. Subs Not Used: Wilson, John, Huws, Kennedy, Zohore.