U18 Match Report: Cardiff City 5-0 Colchester United


Cardiff City’s U18 squad turned on the style to record a 5-0 victory over Colchester United in their first game of the Professional Development League Two season at Cardiff International Sports Campus on Saturday, 11th August 2018.

The young Bluebirds started with real intent and it took them just nine minutes to open the scoring. Rubin Colwill produced a superb cross from the right flank and forward Daniel Griffiths sped onto the ball to powerfully head home at close range.

Three minutes later, Sam Bowen tried his luck with an ambitious effort from distance that flew astray of the left upright. However, that was not enough to put the midfielder off having a go and after 17 minutes he doubled the hosts’ advantage. From a similar position, City’s No. 8 struck with venom and the shot was too powerful for Chandler Hallett’s fingertips.

Image removed.

Sion Spence trebled the Bluebirds’ lead, five minutes later. The dangerous forward cheekily flicked the ball over the goalkeeper’s head from the right edge of the six-yard area.

Griffiths added his second and the Bluebirds’ fourth later in the half. From the left flank, Isaak Davies delivered a high cross towards the far post and the striker was there to head home from an obscure angle.

Davies was putting on an incredible display and was deservedly rewarded with a goal. After 34 minutes, the winger finessed a fifth around the onrushing Hallett from inside the area.

Image removed.

As half-time approached, the visitors came close to reducing the deficit. Todd Miller went one-on-one with George Ratcliffe, who dove to terrifically keep his clean sheet intact.

After the interval, it took two minutes for the Bluebirds to near a sixth. Spence’s strike from the edge of the area was deflected wide of goal for a corner that came to nothing.

10 minutes later, Spence was denied a brace again. From a narrow angle, the 17-year-old forced Hallett to pull off a strong fingertip save.

Image removed.

For the remainder, both sides were resilient and no clear-cut opportunities arose. City sealed the three points and a five-goal difference to begin their competitive season in spectacular fashion.


Cardiff City: Ratcliffe, Kavanagh (Jones 59’), Margetson (C. Davies 59’), Reynolds, Bagan, Patten, I. Davies (J. Davies 75’), Bowen, Griffiths, Spence, Colwill. Subs not used: Duffy, Mayembe.

Colchester United: Hallett, Michaels (Cooke 70’), Kazeem, Cornish, Steward, Cracknell, Hasanally (Sayer 46’), Anderson, Hutchinson, Maughn (Kennedy 54’), Miller. Subs not used: N/A.