U18 Report: Cardiff City 1-2 Ipswich Town


Battling second-half not enough for Bluebirds to claim point…

Cardiff City’s U18 side fell to a disappointing 2-1 defeat against Ipswich Town, despite a late second-half fightback from the young Bluebirds at Cardiff International Sports Campus on Saturday, December 15th.

Dan Griffiths scored City’s only goal in the 68th minute, as the visitors resolve was tested throughout the second-half – but Adam Atey’s side stayed resilient to claim their fourth consecutive victory in all competitions.

City made three changes to the starting XI who beat Charlton Athletic 5-1 last weekend, with Ryan Reynolds, Kieron Evans and Ryan Kavanagh replaced by Harry Pinchard, Ben Margetson and Sion Spence.

Sion Spence got the first-half underway, but it would be the visitors who had the better start to the opening stages of the game. George Ratcliffe was tested just three minutes into the game, as he had to make an alert stop from Smith to deny Ipswich an early goal.

Image removed.

Bellamy’s side would have some chances though, as Dan Griffiths almost managed to test Town ‘keeper Toby Egan in the 23rd minute. Skipper Sam Bowen made a good run, before his shot was deflected into the path of Griffiths in the Ipswich box. The forward was close to getting onto the end of the ball, but he couldn’t quite get on the end of it to test Egan.

The hosts would be made to regret Griffiths’ half-chance, as just two minutes later Ipswich Town were ahead through Lounes Foudil. Crane put a decent cross into the box which caused City problems, but Foudil eventually found himself on the ball before finishing past Ratcliffe.

Cardiff City would have one final chance before going into the break, as Keenan Patten tried a speculative shot from distance on his right-foot. His effort seemed to worry Etey, but it was dealt with and the young Bluebirds went into the break a goal down.

In tricky conditions, both teams struggled to impose a dominance in the second-half, but the hosts grew into the game. Griffiths had another decent chance in the 53rd minute, but his shot was blocked by an Ipswich defender.

Soon enough, City’s fight and desire would be rewarded. It would be Dan Griffiths who gave his side a lifeline, leaving Egan with no chance as he finished into the bottom-right corner on 68 minutes.

The young Bluebirds would continue to battle for an equaliser, with substitute Sam Parsons heading just over Ipswich’s goal in the 88th minute as the City staged a late onslaught.

It wasn’t to be, though. Ipswich managed to get through the final moments and hold onto their one-goal lead, with City largely unrewarded for their efforts in the second-half.


Cardiff City: Ratcliffe, J. Davies (Warnock 80’), Margetson, Jones, Bagan, Patten, Mayembe, Bowen (C), Griffiths, Spence (Parsons 51’), Pinchard.  Subs Not Used: Duffey, Thomas, Jones.

Ipswich Town: Egan, O’Reilly, Smith, Healey, Fehrenbach, Henderson, Curtis (Clifford 85’), Foudil, Simpson, Hughes (C), Crane (Gibbs 74’).  Subs Not Used: Alley, Curbush, Baker.