FAW Youth Cup | Cardiff City 7-0 Aberystwyth Town


On a sunny afternoon at Cardiff International Sports Campus, the young Bluebirds defeated Aberystwyth Town 7-0, progressing to the semi-final stage of the FAW Youth Cup.

City got off to a dominant start and came close a range of times inside the opening 20 minutes. Jack Bodenham saw his curling effort from around 20 yards superbly saved by Ollie Fairbrother after five minutes, before his powerful header was cleared off the line by a covering defender two minutes later.

The West Wales side struggled to hold out the relentless hosts in the early stages, and conceded after 24 minutes. Sam Bowen took the assist, as he slotted the ball through for Sion Spence, who fired home from a narrow angle at close range.

As the first half entered its final five minutes, the score looked respectable for the away side. However, two quick-fire goals sent the young Bluebirds into the half-time break at 3-0 up. Spence secured a brace with a first-time finish from around ten yards after 41 minutes. Then, Bowen got himself on the scoresheet by calmly finishing with finesse from inside the area.

Image removed.After the interval, the young Bluebirds found their ruthless side and only took four minutes to add a fourth. Spence secured a hattrick and his nineteenth goal of the season, by connecting with Connor Davies’ delightful cross.

Then 13 minutes later, the hosts added a fifth through Harry Pinchard. The midfielder drove into the area before clinically finishing into the bottom right corner with a left-footed strike.

It was 6-0 after 77 minutes, as Bowen claimed his second of the affair. Ben Margetson delivered a low cross from the right and City’s No.11 tapped home at the back post.

Image removed.The scoreline was impressive but the hosts were not finished. Spence gave the young Bluebirds a lead by seven goals to nil six minutes later. The attacking midfielder scored at the second time of asking, and added his fourth of the game to finish the match off in style.


Cardiff City: Burwood, Reynolds (Sharif 56’), Jones, Bodenham, J. Davies, Patten, C. Davies (Margetson 56’), Pinchard, I. Davies, Spence, Bowen. Subs not used: Ratcliffe.

Aberystwyth Town: Fairbrother, T. Evans, Rowe (Rees-Jones 56’), Morgan, Jenkins, Coleridge, R. Evans (Crowl 60’), Rimmer, Horwood, Gittins (Berner 72’), Doherty. Subs not used: Cottam, Pennock.