U18 Report: Cardiff City 3-3 Coventry City


Cardiff City’s U18 side came from behind in the closing minutes to claim a point against the Sky Blues at Cardiff International Sports Campus on Saturday, February 23rd.

A brace from Kieron Evans and a 64th minute strike from Sion Spence meant that City remain unbeaten in 2019, continuing a great start to the year, with the side currently sat in first place in the PDL2 South league table.

The young Bluebirds came into the match full of confidence after a sublime display against Crystal Palace last weekend, and despite a low-key start to the match, the hosts would eventually break the deadlock. 

Sion Spence would threaten Tom Billson with a dangerous volley, however it was blocked by the visitors in the 23rd minute. Two minutes later, Harry Pinchard played an intelligent pass into Kieron Evans, putting the creative midfielder through on goal. Evans produced a composed finish into the bottom-right corner to put his side ahead midway through the first half. 

Image removed.Pinchard would go close after a powerful effort drifted just wide of the Coventry goal in the 38th minute, meaning that Cardiff City went into the break with a one-goal advantage against their counterparts.  

Both sides made a substitution at the interval, as William Warnock was replaced by Sam Parsons and Coventry City’s Morgan Crowther departed for Ross McParland

It would only take seven minutes for Coventry’s substitute to make his mark on the game, bringing his side level in the 52nd minute, beating Jordan Duffey with a low finish past the City ‘keeper.

The hosts would regain their lead shortly after, with the inventive Spence causing the Coventry City backline a plethora of problems. It would be Spence who produced an unstoppable strike into the roof of the net with 64 minutes played, leaving Billson with absolutely no chance. 

The midfielder went close with another effort just four minutes later, however his right-footed strike was wide of the visitors’ goal. 

Coventry City scored two goals in just five minutes to take the lead for the first time in the game, as George Hunt and Costelus Lautaru scored in the 78th and 83rd minute respectively. 

After conceding two quick-fire goals, City pressed for an all-important equaliser, hoping to keep their unbeaten streak going. Kieron Evans dramatically scored his second goal of the game in added time, firing home from Sam Bowen’s cross to level the scores at 3-3. It would be the last kick of the game, as Cardiff City claimed a deserved point at the death of the match.


Cardiff City: Duffey, Kavanagh, Reynolds, J. Davies, Trys. Jones, Patten (Colwill 58’), Bowen (C), Warnock (Parsons 46’), Pinchard, Evans, Spence.

Subs not used: Ratcliffe, Knott, Pritchard.

Coventry City: Billson, Whitmore, Forsythe, Fixter (C), White, Endall, Lautaru, Rowe, Crowther (McParland 46’), Bapaga, Hunt.

Subs not used: Costia, Fallows, Burroughs.