Match Report: Cardiff City FC Women 3-1 Briton Ferry Llansawel Ladies


Cardiff City FC Women defeated Briton Ferry Llansawel Ladies 3-1 in the Welsh Premier Women’s League at Cardiff International Sports Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Joel Hutton made four changes to the side that drew with Swansea City last time out, as Daisy Connolly, Kelly Bourne and Eyrn Gibbs entered the starting XI, while Zoe Atkins made her debut.

Briton Ferry took the lead as Lucy Powell finished from the spot, although Kanisha-Mae Underdown levelled shortly after, before sending City in front just after the break. Then two minutes later, Danielle Broadhurst completed the scoring and sealed the hosts’ victory.

Image removed.

The game got off to a swift start and City came close consecutively on a treble of occasions within five minutes. Two minutes in, Bourne’s effort from range flew astray of the left post, before Siobhan Walsh headed wide from Underdown’s cross and Emily Griffiths’ ambitious free-kick attempt was saved.

However, the visitors were awarded a penalty after 16 minutes, when Renee Day went down in the area and Powell stepped up to finish past Ceryn Chamberlain. Although, it only took the Bluebirds a matter of minutes to equalise, as Underdown dispossessed an opposition player, before charging through on goal and finishing.

City looked determined to go in front and from 36 minutes came up with another consecutive treble of attempts, within six minutes. Atkins’ effort from the edge of the area went astray of the left upright, before Danielle Green’s shot at an acute angle was parried away and substitute Broadhurst’s long range curler was kept out.

After the interval, it took City ten minutes to take the lead, as Underdown headed home to secure a brace. Then two minutes later, Broadhurst made it three by pacing through on goal and chipping goalkeeper Courtney Young.

Six minutes later, Green attempted to replicate Broadhurst’s goal, although Young made sure to tip the ball over on that occasion. Then 68 minutes in, substitute Alana Murphy drove into the area, but the onrushing goalkeeper pressurised City’s top scorer into shooting wide.

The hosts crafted a final three opportunities inside the last 16 minutes, as they hunted for a fourth. Green sped down the right wing and delivered a cross that substitute Catherine Walsh swept wide. Two minutes later, Green attempted from the inside, left of the box, but Young tipped behind. Shortly after, forwaWalsh had another chance when the ball arrived at her feet on the edge of the area, although her hammered effort was gathered by the goalkeeper.

City pressed until the final whistle, although no more clear opportunities arose, as the Bluebirds progressed to third in the WPWL standings.


Cardiff City FC Women: Chamberlain, Owen, Griffiths, Daley, S. Walsh, Connolly, Bourne (Broadhurst 34’), Underdown, Atkins (C. Walsh 46’), Gibbs (Murphy 56’), Green. Subs not used: N/A.

Briton Ferry Llansawel Ladies: Young, Howells, Braithwaite, Welch (Davies 80’), Day, Ridings, Phillips (Baker 67’), Powell, Roberts (Heath 87’), Kearle, Rees. Subs not used: Owen.