U23 Report: Hull CIty 0-1 Cardiff City


Despite late penalty drama at both ends, a first half Daniel Griffiths goal earned a deserved victory for Cardiff City on the road.

Prior to the evening kick-off, Jarred Harvey named six changes to the side which drew 1-1 to Sheffield United last time out. Warren Burwood stepped in between the sticks and was joined in the XI by familiar faces Laurence Wootton, Joel Bagan, Ben Margetson, Daniel Griffiths and Aaron Bolger.

The hosts started on the front foot at Roy West Centre, and could’ve taken the lead inside the opening 10 minutes. Ahmed Salam intercepted a wayward pass just outside the penalty area before seeing his effort comfortably saved by the alert Warren Burwood in the Bluebirds’ goal.

Cardiff City responded with a close free-kick attempt shortly before the half hour mark. Defender Joel Bagan took the set-piece, but his curled drive from 20 yards flew narrowly wide of the far left post.

Harvey’s side soon took full control of the game when the deadlock was broken a minute before the break. Following a scramble inside the Hull City box, Bagan’s powerful drive was instinctively directed towards goal by Griffiths to make it 1-0.

The second half began with the visitors increasing their attempts of another goal. Captain Stuart O’Keefe sliced a timely pass into the path of the on-rushing Griffiths who could only fire wide from close range.

Image removed.

Hull City were desperate to salvage at least a point from the game after going nine matches without a win before the clash. A powerful free-kick attempt by Keane Lewis-Potter was gathered by Burwood.

As the game wore on into the final 10 minutes there was no shortage of drama with two penalties awarded. Firstly, the Bluebirds were awarded a penalty after Aaron Bolger was brought down inside the area. The Irishman took the spot-kick but his initial shot was saved with his rebound effort going wide.

Less than five minutes later Burwood brought down Billy Chadwick inside the City penalty area. However the young shot-stopper made up for his mistake with a brilliant save down his right to keep the Bluebirds ahead.

After five minutes of stoppage time, the travelling side secured all three points to record their third win in their last four league matches.

The Bluebirds will face Crewe Alexandra at Cardiff International Sports Campus for their next league encounter on Monday, 25th March 2019 – 1pm kick-off.


Hull City: Cartwright, Faraji, Fleming, Sheaf, Lupano, Ritson, Salam, Chadwick, Lewis-Potter, Holmes (Hawkins 76’), Smith (Powell 76’). Subs not used: Robson, Hesson, Greaves.

Cardiff City: Burwood, Pryce, Wallis, Wootton, Margetson, Bagan, Stedman (Reynolds 89’), O’Keefe, Griffiths, Bolger, Williams. Subs not used: Hall, Colwill, Parsons.