U18 Match vs. Charlton Athletic

U18 Match Report | Cardiff City 1-3 Charlton Athletic

Cardiff City’s U18 side fell to a 3-1 home defeat against Charlton Athletic on Wednesday afternoon.

The young Bluebirds took the lead early on, but three answering goals from the visitors before the interval proved too much for the hosts to counter.

Beginning strongly, City had the better of the early chances and were ahead with ten minutes played. Tanatswa Nyakuhwa was played through on goal and with support to his right decided to go himself, striking well into the back of the net from just inside the area.

U18 Match vs. Charlton Athletic

The visitors levelled less than ten minutes later, however, as Patrick Casey struck home from distance, with ‘keeper Joe Thomas unable to divert the effort. Henry Rylah put the Addicks in the lead just before the hour mark with another ranged effort, which looped high before dipping in and over the goalline.

With pressure mounting on the Bluebirds, Thomas put in a good stop to deny the visitors their third of the afternoon, but before the referee signalled for half-time Casey netted once again.

Following the interval, City looked to soak up the pressure from the Addicks better than they had in the first half, though in turn their chances were limited on the break. In a physical battle primarily fought in the City half, the young Bluebirds fashioned chances when they presented themselves, including a Cody Twose’s effort which went narrowly wide of the post from the edge of the area. Japhet Matondo similarly saw his good chance go just wide, as he cut inside before taking on a shot himself from a good position.

Unable to find their intended response in the second half, the final whistle secured three points for the travelling side, as City were defeated in Leckwith.


Cardiff City: Thomas, Keeping, Giles, Lewis, Spiers, George, Twose, Ware, Nyakuhwa, Perrett, Matondo. Subs: Lawlor, Armstrong, Barton, Phillips, Mafico.

Charlton Athletic: Kane, Hobden, Bower, Kedwell, Laqeretabua, Asiimwe, Rylah, Myers, Casey, Huke, Enslin. Subs: Danso, Molyneux, Hunter.

U18 Match vs. Charlton Athletic

Following the final whistle, U18s Manager Steve Jenkins discussed the performance:

“We started the game really well and got the goal early, but then found it difficult after conceding,” said Steve. “It was a tough first half for the lads. It’s disappointing from the goals that we conceded, because they were avoidable as we gave the ball away in poor areas.

“The task then was to make the game competitive, and the next goal was always going to be vital. We made the second half competitive, and if we’d got that second goal then it would have been a bit more interested. We probed and tried to create opportunities, but just weren’t able to find that second goal.”