Match Report | Cardiff City 2-3 Blackburn Rovers

Match Reports

The Bluebirds suffered defeat at Cardiff City Stadium on Tuesday night as Blackburn Rovers fought back to win 3-2.

Will Vaulks and Robert Glatzel netted in the first half for Cardiff City either side of a Danny Graham effort but second half goals from Dominic Samuel and Adam Armstrong saw Rovers take home all three points.

Neil Harris made two changes to his side that defeated Bristol City on the weekend. Robert Glatzel and Josh Murphy starting in place of Callum Paterson and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

The first real chance went the way of the away side after 10 minutes. Defender Ryan Nyambe meeting Adam Armstrong’s dangerous cross from five-yards, but somehow shooting over the crossbar.

The Bluebirds have been impressive in front of goal since football restarted in late June - and showed that side of their play again to take the lead four minutes later. Joe Ralls lofted a ball down the left side to fellow midfielder Will Vaulks. The Welsh international took a touch before deftly shooting with the outside of his right boot, with the ball floating over Christian Walton and into the net off the underside of the crossbar.

Tony Mowbray’s side levelled after 22 minutes. Defender Darragh Lenihan met Stewart Downing’s corner kick, with his headed effort bouncing off the post and onto City goalkeeper Alex Smithies, who was unable to gather before Danny Graham tapped in at close range.

City went close to getting their advantage back after half an hour with former Blackburn player Junior Hoilett firing a powerful right footed volley across goal and wide.

Neil Harris’ men netted for the second time with four minutes of the first half remaining. During a dangerous attack, Ralls found Josh Murphy inside the box. The winger held the ball well before freeing full-back Joe Bennett. Bennett’s cut back was diverted home by Robert Glatzel at close range - netting his third goal in four matches.

The away side came out for the second period determined to find a way back into the game and levelled inside two minutes. Dominic Samuel appealed for a penalty following a collision with Curtis Nelson. The forward though recovered quickly, and after play was recycled, volleyed in from an Adam Armstrong cross.

The former Reading forward should’ve scored his second of the night just after the hour mark. Samuel finding himself one-on-one with Smithies, but the goalkeeper produced a superb save with his legs.

A third goal for Blackburn did arrive with 20 minutes remaining as the lively Armstrong capitalised on a loose pass from Leandro Bacuna. Rovers' top goalscorer took aim first time after reaching the ball, curling an effort in from 45-yards for his 14th league goal of the campaign.

Neil Harris immediately made three attacking changes, introducing Lee Tomlin, Danny Ward and Callum Paterson. Joe Ralls went close with eight minutes remaining, curling wide from distance while Paterson's long throws caused trouble inside the Blackburn box late on, but the away side held strong. The Lancashire side securing all three points and inflicting a first defeat on Cardiff City since February 25th.


Cardiff City: Smithies, Sanderson (Pack 84’), Morrison, Nelson, Bennett, Vaulks (Paterson 73’), Bacuna, Ralls, Murphy (Tomlin 73’), Hoilett (Whyte 84’), Glatzel (Ward 73’). Subs Not Used: Etheridge, Flint, Bamba, Smith.

Blackburn Rovers: Walton, Nyambe, Johnson, Armstrong (Gallagher 87’), Graham (Rothwell 76’), Samuel (Holtby 87’), Downing, Adarabioyo, Lenihan, Travis, Rankin-Costello (Bennett 69’). Subs Not Used: Leitwiler, Davenport, Buckley, Carter, Mulgrew.