Wigan Athletic vs. Cardiff City

Match Report | Wigan Athletic 1-3 Cardiff City

Match Reports
Goals from Callum Robinson, Sheyi Ojo and Ryan Wintle gave City a 3-1 victory over Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium.

Mark Hudson made three changes to the side which defeated Blackburn Rovers in midweek, with Jack SimpsonJoe Ralls and Mark Harris all coming into the starting eleven.

The Bluebirds wasted no time in opening the scoring, with Callum Robinson on target after just seven minutes. A fine forward drive from Niels Nkounkou allowed the loanee to feed Robinson, who applied a calm finish past former City stopper, Ben Amos.

At the other end, the hosts looked to use the aerial threat of strike duo Charlie Wyke and Josh Magennis, though Simpson, Perry Ng and Cédric Kipré dealt well with several dangerous crosses.

Our midweek goalscorer Harris came close with an effort after 40 minutes, after being fed through on goal. From a narrowing angle, the Welsh international looked to find the far corner, but flashed a low shot narrowly wide of the upright.

Just before the interval, goalscorer Robinson was forced off after picking up a knock earlier in the half, though City were able to take their lead into the break.

Callum Robinson

There were chances for both teams at the start of the second half, with Wigan again opting for direct attacks whilst City looked lively on the break.

O'Dowda was the first to test Amos in the second period, racing into the box after being released by Ng. However, the Republic of Ireland international's strike was parried away by the Latics stopper.

Minutes later, Amos almost gifted Sheyi Ojo a goal against his former club, spilling the ball at the feet of the City winger. Unfortunately, the keeper did well to get down and deny the substitute a clear strike on goal.

Another quick counter attack after 65 minutes brought the Bluebirds a deserved second, with Ojo scoring his first goal since returning to the club this summer. Nkounkou broke forward once again, squaring to O'Dowda, who fed Ojo with a low ball.

Applying an unorthodox finish, Ojo tapped home past Amos in front of the 1,203 travelling City supporters to double the advantage for Mark Hudson's men.

Report Latics

A minute later, City cut through once again on the break, with Ryan Wintle eventually tapping home from Mark Harris' low ball. However, the linesman's flag was raised, chalking off the Bluebirds' third goal.

The hosts responded with several attacking substitutions and a change of shape, with a number of crosses again being swung across towards the back post.

The Latics managed to pull one back with seven minutes to play, with Charlie Wyke seizing on a loose ball to power a header past Ryan Allsop and into the City net, setting up a nervy final few moments as seven minutes of injury time were indicated.

Fortunately for the City faithful, Wintle was on hand to calm the nerves by netting his first ever goal in a City shirt.

Sending his free-kick directly towards goal from a tight angle, the midfielder caught the hosts off-guard as the ball flew in to the back of the net, restoring the two-goal lead for the Bluebirds.

With the final whistle blown, the Bluebirds recorded back-to-back victories with a deserved win at the DW Stadium. Up next for City is a home clash with Coventry City next Saturday, October 15th.

FINAL SCORE: Wigan Athletic 1-3 Cardiff City

Wigan Athletic: Amos, Kerr, Whatmough, Bennett (Naylor 71'), Darikwa (Tilt 71'), Power, Shinnie, McClean (Scully 81'), Keane, Magennis (Broadhead 71'), Wyke.

Subs not used: Tickle, Aasgaard, Fletcher.

Cardiff City: Allsop, Ng, Kipré, Simpson, Nkounkou, Wintle, Ralls (Sawyers 77'), Rinomhota, O'Dowda (Nelson 87'), Robinson (Ojo 41'), Harris (Etete 77').

Subs not used: Alnwick, Sang, Philogene.