Cardiff City U18 vs. Peterborough United

U18 Match Report | Cardiff City 3-0 Colchester United

Cardiff City U18 earned a comfortable victory over Colchester United with a fine performance at Cardiff International Sports Campus on Saturday afternoon.

A brace from Tanatswa Nyakuhwa and a second half strike from Cole Fleming saw the young Bluebirds complete a 3-0 win in dominant fashion.

City move to third on the PDL table with two games in hand over table toppers Millwall.

The hosts came out the blocks quickest, dominating the opening 15 minutes of play. Japhet Mpadi and Trey George caused trouble for the visitors, with both having good chances early on.

Still at 0-0 deep in the first half, George continued to create issues for the U’s, earning a free-kick in a dangerous position. Luey Giles stepped up and put his left-footed effort just wide.

The scores didn’t go into the break at 0-0, however. Nyakuhwa receiving a cross on 39 minutes from Fleming chasing down a loose ball, netting his one-on-one chance for City to lead at the break.

Straight after the whistle for the start of the second half, Fleming’s pace continued to trouble Colchester. Beating the back four, he forced a low save from the visitors’ keeper.

Centre-back Dylan Lawlor almost found himself on the scoresheet approaching the hour mark. Mpadi’s free-kick from wide was a good one, as his header back across goal found Lawlor, whose headed effort ricocheted off the crossbar.

With just over 20 minutes to play, Fleming found himself in some space down the right-hand side and under no pressure tried his luck from 25 yards, seeing his effort beat the opposition and hit the back of the net for a 2-0 lead.

Nyakuhwa sealed the deal with his second of the day on 79 minutes. After a smart one-two with substitute Cody Twose he dropped a shoulder in a packed box and quickly saw a shooting opportunity, sending the effort flying into the top corner.


Cardiff City: Dennis, Keeping © (C. Jones 75’), Giles, Lewis (Barton 66’), Lawlor, Kenniford, Fleming, Ware, Nyakuhwa, George, Mpadi (Twose 66’). Subs not used: Armstrong, T. Jones.

Colchester United: Peglar, Akor (Chakawa 70’), Yates, Kosoko, Edwards, Berry (Palmer-Brown 77’), Gordon-Clement, Joliffe, Arnold, Marcel-Dilaver (Drysdale 70’), Uwandu. Subs not used: Chamberlin, Price.

Speaking after the game, U18s Manager Steve Jenkins spoke positively and proudly of the performance.

"I thought we played well, especially in the first half when we moved the ball well, they allowed us to a bit but we had an aggressive press and we could’ve come in [to half-time] with one or two more goals.

"We had to try maintain our lead in the second half, to show we can play at a more consistent level and we did. On another day we could’ve had more goals.

"As much as football is about scoring goals it’s about defending them and to get a clean sheet is really pleasing. We showed good concentration, particularly in the second half.

"Development is key, that’s what we’re here for, to create professionals. It’s always pleasing to win but even in the last few games we have lost we’ve felt we should’ve got something out of the game.

"We’ve never lost confidence and it puts us into a good position for our PL Cup game next week against Shrewsbury.’’