Club News

City battle their way to hard earned 0-0 draw with Everton

CITY got another Premier League point on the board as they battled out a hard earned 0-0 draw with Everton at Cardiff City Stadium.

'Keeper David Marshall was the star of the show for the Bluebirds in the first-half, a fingertip stop in first-half stoppage time just enough to keep a Nikica Jelavic header out and keep the scores level going into the break.

The best chance for the Bluebirds came in the second half as Kim Bo Kyung picked out Craig Bellamy with an excellent through ball, only a heavy touch stopping him putting the Bluebirds in front.

Naming an unchanged starting line-up from the one that beat Manchester City 3-2 at the Cardiff City Stadium last weekend, City welcomed Roberto Martinez's Everton side in front of yet another lively atmosphere truly embracing the Premier League.

Early on, chances were relatively few and far between; Kim's shot over the bar early on with a goalbound Steven Caulker header deflected wide just five minutes later.

From the resulting corner, City were almost ahead. Another fantastic Whittingham delivery from the right curling right in towards goal forcing Tim Howard to make the save on the line.

For the Toffees, Leighton Baines' delivery was their most potent threat. Two separate crossed from the left found Belgian frontman Kevin Mirallas unmarked in the area, only to head wide on both occasions.

As the half entered it's final stages it was Baines who charged into the City area only to go down under the challenge of Gary Medel. Referee Andrew Taylor pointing for a goal-kick and not to the spot however.

Deep into stoppage time City had Marshall to thank to see them into the break on level terms. Ahead of joining up with Gordon Strachan's Scotland squad next week, Marshall produced an excellent fingertip save to deny a Jelavic header, seeing the sides head into the dressing rooms at half-time on level terms.

HALF-TIME - Cardiff City 0-0 Everton

With no changes for either side at the break, it was Kim again who was proving a thorn in the side of the Toffees, his forward run opening up the defence early in the second-half only to see his cross go unfinished.

He proved creator once again just after the hour mark, the South Korean international picking out an inch perfect pass for Bellamy, who rounded the 'keeper with only his heavy touch stopping him from putting City in front.

The visitors were persistent in their pressing for much of the second-half as they looked to grab the goal that could send them to a first win under manager Roberto Martinez, but failed to create any clear cut openings themselves.

Substitute Gerard Deulofeu saw two shots saved by Marshall late-on, all to comfortable for the Scottish international on the very top of his game. As a result, the sides took a share of the spoils as the game finished goalless and the Bluebirds picked up another valuable point.

FULL TIME: Cardiff City 0-0 Everton

Cardiff City: Marshall; Connolly, Taylor, Caulker, Turner, Whitts, Medel (Mutch 89), Campbell, Kim (Maynard 82), Gunnarsson, Bellamy (C) (Cowie 78). Subs not used: Lewis; Hudson, Gestede, Noone.

Everton: Coleman, Baines, Distin, Jagielka, Mirallas (Deulofeu 85), Pienaar, Osman, Fellaini, Barkley, Jelavic (Kone 68). Subs not used: Robles, Heitinga, Oviedo, Naismith, Stones.

Attendance: 27,344 (Cardiff City Stadium)