Club News

Cardiff City knocked out of the Capital One Cup by AFC Bournemouth at Cardiff City Stadium.

Snapshot: The Bluebirds fought but were unable to stop in-form Bournemouth from advancing to the fourth round of the Capital One Cup at CCS.

City conceded within ten minutes facing an uphill struggle. It wasn’t long before the visitors added a second and when the third came just after the half-hour mark it was all but over for our boys.

The second half brought a renewed effort to cut the deficit and City did improve, creating chances through Mats Dæhli though the Bluebirds could not find the finishing touch. The Cherries hit the bar and had one cleared off the line whilst Cardiff had a goal denied by the linesman as the contest became stretched; however it was not to be this evening for Cardiff City, the final score 0-3.

Chronological Report: Steve Cook picked up what appeared to be a hamstring injury in the warm up, replaced in ample time by Tommy Elphick. Cardiff lined up with three strikers in Maynard, Guerra and Le Fondre with Kim just behind, Gunnarsson and Adeyemi holding.

Mark Pugh danced through on the left though Brayford intelligently stood off, Pugh’s cross dealt with by the Cardiff back line. Brayford then turned provider as he floated in a cross after picking up Le Fondre’s knock down though Boruc was relatively untroubled, catching gracefully.

Pugh then struck an ominous well-placed effort to the right of Simon Moore, the City stopper palming to safety. Cardiff were given little respite when Dan Gosling popped up moments later to hit his third goal in as many games. Ghosting through the crowd before drilling a low effort into the back of the net, the early goal gave Cardiff City all to do to stay in the Capital One Cup.

GOAL: CARDIFF CITY 0 – 1 AFC BOURNEMOUTH (Dan Gosling, 9 minutes)

With Young and Gabbidon’s men struggling to hold onto the ball, Bournemouth chose not to rest on their laurels. The coastal side were making the most of space on the overlap and when Charlie Daniels picked the ball up relatively unchallenged deep in the Cardiff area there was only one likely result. The midfielder placed an identical effort into the far side of Moore’s goal, the stopper unable to deal with the pace on the ball as it slid under his body.

GOAL: CARDIFF CITY 0 – 2 AFC BOURNEMOUTH (Charlie Daniels, 22 minutes)

John Brayford was one of the positives from a difficult first half, linking well with Kim to create Cardiff’s first real opportunity. The pair won a throw-in deep in Bournemouth’s half with Le Fondre able to deliver. Kim tried to fashion a chance with the ball at his feet and the resultant pinball saw an outstretched Maynard guide the ball into Boruc’s grip.

Bournemouth were looking potent every time they went forward and when Moore was again tested, the Cardiff defence were unable to clear, Gosling adding his second with a simple finish to put the game beyond reach for Cardiff City.

GOAL: CARDIFF CITY 0 – 3 AFC BOURNEMOUTH (Dan Gosling, 33 minutes)

Substitution, Cardiff City: Kim-Bo Kyung replaced by Mats Dæhli (36 minutes)

Substitution, Cardiff City: Javi Guerra replaced by Federico Macheda (36 minutes)

The double substitution seemed to somewhat revitalise the home side, Cardiff starting to find their feet in midfield with Gunnarsson leading by example - his work rate never in doubt. 

Dæhli then fashioned Cardiff City’s best opportunity, an exquisite turn losing three Bournemouth players as he attempted to lay off Macheda. The ball didn’t reach the Italian but did fortuitously break to Maynard, his shot on the turn saved by Artur Boruc. Macheda blasted the rebound over, though the positivity was well received by the home support.

Adeyemi then had a shot saved on the line by Boruc on the stroke of half-time. In truth, the Cherries’ stopper had done well to keep Cardiff’s goal-bound efforts at bay with the half ending on a small positive note for City.


Half time brought a renewed optimism around Cardiff City Stadium with the home side clearly working hard to reverse the deficit. After a good spell the Bluebirds had the ball in the back of the net thanks to Macheda, the substitute converting Declan John’s cross; however, the linesman had raised his flag cutting celebrations at CCS short.

Junior Stanislas struck a free kick in a dangerous position that flew wide off the wall, earning Bournemouth a corner. The set-piece pressure was forcing Cardiff to be increasingly resilient in order to keep the score down, defending in numbers to clear well. 

Substitution, Bournemouth: Shaun MacDonald replaced by Harry Arter (74 minutes)

Declan John’s work rate was shining on a day both Cardiff’s full-backs were busy, John trying in vain with his dynamic style to create an opportunity down the left. But just as Cardiff City seemed to be gaining a foothold the away side would respond dangerously, this time rattling the bar through Harry Arter as the game entered the final stages.

Substitution, Cardiff City: Nicky Maynard replaced by Anthony Pilkington (80 minutes) 

A comedy of errors saw Bournemouth trying everything to get the ball into the back of the net with Cardiff City players throwing their selves valiantly in front of the barrage of shots, Simon Moore twice reacting incredibly well to keep the score line down. 

Substitution, Bournemouth: Adam Smith replaced by Simon Francis (85 minutes)

Substitution, Bournemouth: Junior Stanislas replaced by Tokelo Rantie (86 minutes)

Mats Dæhli’s mazy runs as ever were a silver lining, his youthful exuberance on the ball Cardiff’s best threat. Pilkington had a drive from twenty yards blocked as City pushed for a goal. Macheda then found his self in space and was able to turn though his curled effort was deflected over.

The referee then blew to halt the contest, AFC Bournemouth through to the fourth round of the Capital One Cup.


Cardiff City: Moore, Brayford, Cala, Gabbidon, John, Gunnarsson, Adeyemi, Kim (Dæhli), Maynard (Pilkington), Le Fondre, Guerra (Macheda). Subs Not Used: Marshall, Eikrem, Burgstaller, James.

AFC Bournemouth: Boruc, Elphick, Gosling, Pugh, Pitman, Daniels, Smith (Francis), MacDonald (Arter), Stanislas (Rantie), O’Kane, Cargill. Subs Not Used: Camp, Wilson, Ritchie.

Referee: Mr. Andrew Madley

Attendance: 6,491