Club News

Cardiff City scored three, and secured three points, for the second consecutive away match, defeating Huddersfield Town, 3-2, at the John Smith's Stadium.

Early exchanges

It was a quiet match in the opening twenty minutes, with both teams struggling to create an opening. Peter Whittingham gave supporters a sign of what was to follow with a delightful through ball for Anthony Pilkington, the in-form Republic of Ireland international timing his run just off, with the assistant referee flagging for offside.

On 23 minutes, Bluebirds and Terriers fans alike clapped in memory of 23-year-old Huddersfield supporter Gavin Greig, who sadly passed away earlier this week.

Final first-half flurry

Russell Slade's side grew into the match, and took the lead after 37 minutes. Sammy Ameobi troubling the Huddersfield defence down the right, before playing the ball in-field for Pilkington. The former Terrier cut the ball back from the bye-line for City stalwart Whittingham to slot home under Jed Steer with his right foot.

The home side rallied following this set back and managed to level three minutes later. The lively Nahki Wells finding enough space to turn in the area before firing low past David Marshall. The final action of the half saw Fabio head a Whittingham cross just wide of goal as Cardiff went in at the break in the ascendency. 

The Lex express begins

Huddersfield had a strong chance to take the lead moments after the restart, Harry Bunn side footing off target. They were punished for this missed opportunity after 61 minutes as the Bluebirds went ahead. Fabio and Ameobi with a slick passing move down the right side, taking apart the home defence. The Brazilian full-back played Ameobi through on goal, with the Newcastle loanee perfectly finding Lex Immers, who composedly slotted the ball home on his full Cardiff City debut.

He does what he wants

The 300+ Bluebirds supporters almost got to witness a moment of magic from Joe Ralls, the young central midfielder trying his luck from 35-yards only for Steer to tip the effort onto the crossbar. The travelling City fans though were soon on their feet with just eleven minutes to go. Stuart O'Keefe was fouled, with the referee judging it to be outside the penalty box. The away side would certainly have felt different about this decision. Peter Whittingham though, made sure all was forgiven with an unstoppable free kick over the wall and into the top corner.

Huddersfield's Harry Bunn reduced the deficit for the hosts with a clinical finish in added time, but it was a Slade's men who deservedly left snowy Yorkshire with all three points.

FINAL SCORE: HUDDERSFIELD TOWN 2-3 CARDIFF CITY (Wells 40’ Bunn 90’; Whittingham 37’ 79’ Immers 61’)

Huddersfield Town: Steer, Dempsey (Bojaj, 86), Cranie, Lynch, Davidson, Hogg, Huws (Whitehead, 60), Bunn, Paterson, Matmour, Wells. Subs Not Used: Murphy, Husband, Holmes, Billing, Boyle.

Cardiff City: Marshall, Fabio, Malone, Connolly, Manga, Ameobi, O’Keefe (Dikgacoi, 89), Ralls, Whittingham, Immers (Gunnarsson, 77), Pilkington (Macheda, 69). Subs Not Used: Moore, Tamas, Harris, Revell.