Match Report: Cardiff City Women 7-1 Larkhall Athletic Ladies


Cardiff City FC Women earned their first pre-season victory in style with an emphatic 7-1 victory over the Larks.

With the rain pouring down in Leckwith, the hosts started on the front foot. Forward Alana Murphy surged down the left flank before cutting inside and shooting from 20 yards. The powerful effort was fumbled by the ‘keeper before crossing the line to make it 1-0.

The dominant Bluebirds scored two in quick succession as the game approached the half-hour mark. First, Kelly Bourne played a fantastic high ball ahead of the on-rushing Shannon Evans, who clinically fired home to double the lead.

A minute later, Joel Hutton’s side were awarded a penalty when Murphy was brought down inside the area. Catherine Walsh took the spot-kick and calmly dispatched the ball into the back of the net.

When it rains, it pours - as Evans grabbed a brace with 37 minutes played. Last season’s top scorer coolly dribbled past several Larkhall Athletic defenders before converting at the near post from ten yards.

Image removed.

City continued where they left off straight after the interval, making it 5-0. A Murphy corner caused confusion in the box which led to Lucy McDonough tapping home from close range.

The hosts continued to enjoy possession and increased the lead further with 66 minutes played. After finding space, Kanisha Underdown unleashed a ferocious strike from 35 yards which found its way into the top left corner of goal - a strike to remember for the midfielder.

Five minutes later, Murphy got her second of the game. The lively attacker tapped home at the far post to increase the Bluebirds' tally.

Despite a late consolation for the spirited visiting side, victory was confirmed for the Bluebirds, who face Wolves Women at Cardiff Sports Campus for their next pre-season test on Sunday 5th August 2018.

Cardiff City: Skinner (Chamberlain 46’), Owen, Broadley (May 46’), Daley, Bourne, Broadhurst (Trialist 46’), Evans, Cochrane, Murphy (McDonough 28’), Connolly (Griffiths 46’), C. Walsh (Underdown 28’).

Subs not used: Roberts-Powell.