Cardiff City Women celebrate scoring against Swansea University

Adran Premier Report | Cardiff City 3-0 Cardiff Met

Cardiff City continued their unbeaten start to the Adran Premier season with a 3-0 win over Cardiff Metropolitan University at Cardiff International Sports Campus.

Striker Mackenzie Olden opened the scoring, with Seren Watkins netting a second half brace.

The Bluebirds made a positive start and forced an early chance through in-form Kehoe, whose dangerous strike from distance was tipped over by Carys Gittins. The Met goalkeeper was again called into action, as wing-back Mikayla Cook went close with a dangerous free-kick, which Gittins pushed wide.

As City continued to search for an opener, Watkins fired just over the bar with a great effort from distance. Darbyshire’s side were rewarded for their positive start, finding the breakthrough in the 22nd minute through Olden, who turned and finished brilliantly into the bottom corner for her first league goal for the Club.

City immediately pushed for a second goal and went close through Watkins, who cut inside from the left and fired a fierce strike just past the post. Before the break, the Bluebirds had a series of shots from inside the area, with Olden and Beynon both having goal-bound efforts blocked.  

Seren Watkins in action for Cardiff City Women

A perfect start to the second period saw City double the advantage in the 49th minute through Watkins, who was played in on the left and applied a brilliant finish.The Bluebirds continued to create opportunities, as Olden found space to fire at goal, but the striker was denied by a fine save from Gittins.

Substitute Eliza Collie was next to go close, but her strike towards the bottom corner was tipped wide by Daisy Farrow. City added a third late-on through Watkins, who dispatched a penalty after Collie was brought down in the area.

The Bluebirds will return to action on December 12th, facing Pontardawe Town in the Adran Trophy.


Cardiff City: Chamberlain, Owen (Price 75’), Power, S Walsh ©, Bowen, Cook, Watkins, Beynon (Adams 66’), Kehoe (Richardson 58’), Olden, Oakley (Collie 75’). Subs not used: Gingell.

Cardiff Met: Gittins (Farrow 71’), Houghton, Davidson, Webb, Mulenga, Batsford, Long, Cochrane, Aadland (Pearson 75’), Murray, Kilburn-Thompson Subs not used: Payne, Nicholson, Grimm.

Iain Darbyshire on the touchline for Cardiff City Women

After the full-time whistle, head coach Iain Darbyshire was full of praise for his team’s performance.

“I thought we were excellent today,” Iain began. “We created lots of chances and restricted Cardiff Met to very few, so all in all it’s a great performance by the players.

“It continues our positive start to the season and it keeps up our momentum. We have no game next week, but we’ll be continuing our hard work in training to ensure that we keep our standards high.”

Midfielder Watkins, who took her goal tally up to four for the season, added: “I thought we played some really good football and everyone worked hard to get the three points.

“I’m really happy to get two goals and to be able to contribute to the team in any way I can.”